Old 12-16-21, 08:29 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Several years ago three of us guys (all active on the BF C&V forum) rode in an annual event here in Oregon, known as the Monster Cookie Ride. As we were leaving the lunch stop/halfway point to finish the ride, an older gentleman on a newer CF road bike, saw us and commented "Hey, looks like you guys dragged the vintage bikes out of the garage!" As he was riding away, one of our small group commented, "Otherwise known as 'the bikes.'"

I've always owned older bikes by default, as I usually haven't had the means for anything else, and as a former road racer, I quit road racing at about the same time as STI and clipless pedals came onto the scene (mid-late 80s). So in a sense, I was "stuck in the past," and frequently turned my nose up at the new stuff. When I'm out riding, or just out and about, I usually notice vintage bikes, and usually don't pay much attention to newer bikes. Sometimes people comment on my vintage bikes, mostly they don't. If I'm sitting outside a coffee shop or such, I do see some folks checking out my bikes, both younger and older.

These days, I'm mostly a pragmatist. I like the look and aesthetic of vintage bikes, but for me it's mostly about the ride. I recently purchased a 2010 Ritchey Break Away, which is now the newest bike I own. After assembling it and taking it for a ride, I was blown away by the performance and ride quality, as compared to my vintage bikes; there is simply no comparison. Granted, it is still a steel bike; I don't see myself owning anything else, and in fact have a custom steel Hampsten Strada Bianca on order. I also get tired of trying to source the appropriate parts for the vintage bikes, which are often worn out, if used, and very costly, if NOS.

I will continue to keep one or two of my vintage bikes for the foreseeable future: one for vintage-themed rides, and one for fenders and winter riding. Later on, I will probably replace the fendered winter bike with something like a Soma Pescadero or similar. To me, the modern steel bikes with modern components have a lot to offer.

I will continue to appreciate the vintage bikes of others, or really any bike that the owner seems to appreciate and take good care of. Maybe some folks will comment on my bikes, maybe they won't. I don't think I'm a very approachable person, generally speaking, but I'm always willing to discuss bikes, if they do.
Likes For johnnyace: