chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravel50
Thank you everyone for all of the help and advice. Very much appreciated

Things that I have tried are... 2 complete bike fittings (one being the RETUL), changed the stem out twice. I now have a very short and upright stem (my fitter says I can't go anymore upright or shorter), Double wrapped my bars with salsa gel tape, done multiple seat changes and adjustments and a few other things. I just cant seem to get used to the aggressive geometry of the Lauf. I love the bike jut can't seem to get used to the geometry.

I've been considering maybe looking at another bike style for gravel riding. Maybe the Salsa Cutthroat?

I'm just not sure what to do besides try a different bike at this point. My hands are completely asleep at mile 3 and about every 1-2 miles I'm having to shake them out.
ugh, that is frustrating. You could also try doing core exercizes to make sure your core is strong.

I have a super stiff front end on my bike, but I don't really notice it because I don't have any weight on my hands. If you have a strong core, you could keep the short stem but have it very low. That will take your weight off your hands, but it does require you to be athletic (note how many pros look like their knees are going to hit their elbows).

From what you are describing, you need a different frame. Try "renting" a bike from your LBS and going for a long ride. That may give you a way to feel out what you need. That is what I tend to do before making a big purchase (they often apply the rental to the cost of the bike if you buy).