View Single Post
Old 01-10-22, 08:51 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 740 Posts
I also think the LBSs are hurting themselves by continuing to support brands that are working against them. Trek has opened up 3 shops locally and yet they're also one of the more stocked brands at shops in between. One shop sold one of their two locations to trek and agreed to not drop the brand, and the day they closed the sold location trek brought in an entire truckload of bikes while their second location was practically empty since trek isn't delivering. So within 15 miles of me there are 3 shops I visit and trek is their biggest stocking brand but within the same 15 miles is 2 trek shops. I get Trek sells; but how many customers come in, learn what they want, and get it at the trek shop which actually has stock. And why compete with the brand, the only one winning is the brand. Yet this is what the shops are allowing to happen. If trek, specialized, or whoever opened a shop and every shop within the region dropped the brand they would lose market share and have to start backing up.