Old 01-22-22, 05:11 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
I don't disagree at all. The problem (or context, really) is that we've been conditioned to JIT logistics for everything, and that works when all of the single points of failure (combined to create a very brittle stem constructed using multiple points of failure) are all simultaneously failing.

Forgive my reductionist rant that follows... For years the maximal efficiency was sold as panacea to everyone- consumers because you can get what you want/need in a very short time, bankers and investors because profits are being maximized since we aren't tying it up in stock, and container shippers because they were getting rich off of renting these things in quantities that would shock someone unfamiliar with their ubiquity. What we all failed to realize or acknowledge was that this efficiency came at a price, it depended on a system that was so streamlined it was brittle. We could see this when a hurricane in the Atlantic, or monsoon in the western Pacific, would disrupt supply chains locally/regionally, what we are seeing now is unprecedented because the disruption is like a hurricane everywhere, all at once!

I am not suggesting (above or now) that we should horde parts, I should have been clearer to explain what I meant by my comment above. I would say depending on how much someone rides they should be planning ahead accordingly for parts purchases. I, for instance, clock between 1500-2000km a month, I wear stuff out regularly, I would have a few more things on my bench than say a person who rides that much over 3-4 months. This is all to say that I think your advice to plan replacement ahead is spot on. I initially bought a few chains and cassettes and some brake pads to have on hand. I am keeping a stick of at least always having one on hand of the things I am wearing through regularly, but I am also being a bit more attentive to what I have so that on a whim I am not ordering things I already have and don't need. I think we all could do that...it's not about the guy in Oregon caring not about the gal in Memphis, it is about thinking ahead, and being a good "neighbor," IMHO.
Agreed!