Old 02-01-22, 03:04 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Parkyy16
I had a set of Teravail Ramparts(slick) in 700x38mm that had some manufacturing defects. I was able to get a set of Teravail Washburns(center slick) in 700x42mm from warranty(they didn't have the ramparts in stock, so they sent me a full set of a different model), but they're the tightest tires I've ever had to put on. Had to buy the Koolstop tire bead jack to put these on. I have no idea how I would put these tires back on after a flat on the road. I'm running them with tubes because of my latex allergy.

Looking for 700x38-42mm tires for 95% road riding, but the quality of pavement is subpar. A lot of potholes, and some are unavoidable since they often span the whole width of the road. I don't mind the tire being a bit heavy, but I'd prefer it to be below 600g, if possible. Does not need to be Tubeless compatible since I'm running tubes anyways.

Due to budgetary reasons, I'm looking for some temporary tires in the $30 range.

Found a few promising tires, but reviews are hard to come by for the lower end tires, so I was wondering if anyone here had any experience or other recommendations.

Specialized Sawtooth 700x42mm $26.99(On sale, $55)
Continental SpeedRide 700x42mm $23.98
American Classic Kimberlite 700x40mm $35
Well the specialized and conti are great tires for that price point. But at that price point, they tend not to be tubeless - which doesn't matter to you. Either one of those would be fine. Good news is that they mount up very easily in my experience (being tubed only).

but they're the tightest tires I've ever had to put on. Had to buy the Koolstop tire bead jack to put these on. I have no idea how I would put these tires back on after a flat on the road.
Yeah, get used to it. Most modern tires are tubeless compatible, meaning they are going to have a tight bead. That and there were no standards (before now), so you have some tires that are undersized and some wheels that are oversized, because no one wants to get sued because of a blowout and wreck.

The industry has Finally come up with standards for tires/wheels (as of Jan 2022), but good luck knowing if your tires/wheels meet that as its not something labeled on the product. I've gotten some tires that were literally impossible for me to mount by my self (LBS took 2 guys over 30 minutes to mount one). The good news is that when I took them off a year later, they came off pretty easy. Must have stretched a bit over time.