Old 02-16-22, 03:31 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I can't believe I just read this whole thread and am going to talk about saving time...

15-20 years ago I had much less disposable income and obsessed about finding good deals. The internet was not as well-developed as it is now, and this was often difficult. As my income has grown, I'm willing to spend more money with less research. On occasion, I'll still do a search for the best price. Right now, I'm considering upgrading an old Orbea with 10 speed Ultegra (the last version with the cables coming out of the sides) to 11 speed. I'm doing a fair amount of research on this process. On other stuff, I'll pretty much just order from usual retailers and, when possible, from my LBS even if it cost a little more. I have more income now.

Bike availability is really weird right now. In November 2020 I was able to walk in a shop and buy my road bike with Di2 that day without pre-ordering. I'm still not sure how that happened. When it came to gravel bikes, I ended up buying a used Canyon cross bike for almost the same as it would have cost new because you could not get anything in my area, and used bikes were disappearing instantly. I contacted the seller of the canyon moments after he posted the ad - he had several others offer above what he paid new so they could get it. Thankfully he honored the price. The guy with the Scott I had agreed to buy before did not - as he told me, "I just graduated college and someone wants to buy it for $200 more than it cost me new... sorry." Another friend of mine with a lot of disposable income really, really wanted a new S-Works Crux. Our local shop couldn't get it. He worked with a regional sales rep to find one and drove well out of state to pick it up. Different people value time and specific options more than others.

The other part of the story is that for some folks $3000, $4000 or $5000 is not that much money. So a bike is in stock that they want and they can have it in a few days? No problem. For others (me 15-20 years ago) such a purchase would be foolish given their circumstance. Hell, my last three bikes cost more than my first car, and my current road and gravel bikes each cost more than I ever thought I'd spend on any bike. Younger me would have laughed about these bikes being wasted on older me. Older, foolish me is cool with it.

The Pros Closet is doing fine. I would bet prices start to drop before long.
Likes For ericcox: