View Single Post
Old 03-14-22, 09:55 AM
maglia_grigia

Bikes: Bianchi C2C Via Nirone 7

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Duffstix
Hello!

Let me start with a bit of an introduction - I'm 30 years old and have been cycling for the last 12 years, but have only just found myself able to buy a bike brand new, outright, this year.

This got me thinking - from being a student, to working in a fairly low paying industry, I was kind of forced due to lack of income to rely on the second hand market for bike parts, wheels and in particular, frames.

The thought struck me this week, why not start a bike company offering affordable frames aimed directly at people who have to race on a budget or ride on a budget.

It would seem to me that this would eliminate some of the pitfalls of buying second hand:

1. Worn Parts/interfaces/chipped or scratched
2. No warranty or guarantee
3. Limited in size choice

If you could theoretically offer a frame for the average price of secondhand ($6-800), which offered ease of maintenance, frame warranty/guarantee and a variations in regards to sizing, I feel that there would be a huge market for this.

Regarding discs/rim also, the ease of maintenance would lean towards rim (we are talking about people on a limited budget, and rim groupsets/wheels and maintenance are all cheaper with rim brake) but if enough people feel that disc brakes should be offered then that would be something too.

Just looking for peoples thoughts, feedback.

Please keep in mind this thought process has aimed this product at people like me, previously, with a super limited budget who want to race and ride their bike but also don't necessarily want the risk of second hand.
I think you saying there would be a huge market for this has created and answered your own question. The market decides the price of this and as we have seen of late - as demand shoots up, prices rise and supply dries up quickly.

The vast majority of amateur cyclists will already keep a keen eye on the 2nd hand market to upgrade or replace components and obviously there are still a huge number of independent bike shops operating who will buy & sell 2nd hand stuff.

I would imagine there is a role for someone to buy up 2nd hand kit and match it to buyers who would rather pay a small premium to go through a reliable retailer rather than turn up to someone's property with a wad of cash and hope for the best. And likewise with sellers who want a quick transaction after buying some new gear.

But you aren't quite reinventing the wheel.