View Single Post
Old 04-07-22, 11:36 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Also noteworthy is that the original Mafac calipers were able to reach the rim on the 650B. I see that the pad is all the way at the top of the slot with the 27" steel rim and all the way a the bottom with the 65B. That's pretty good that you didn't have to change calipers. Another plus with Mafac's. Please don't let anyone outside of this forum know of this amazing ability. These are already precious.

Most 650B conversion require new calipers of one form or another.
Alas, no- If you look closely you'll see those are Mafac Raids on the bike now, Racers didn't have the reach. I was on the fence about doing the conversion, but scored the Raids on eBay France for a good price.
A couple days ago a friend gave me a box of bike stuff from cleaning out an in-law's garage that had some Weinmann Vainqueur calipers, doh! If I'd had those a few weeks ago it would've saved me a little bit of $!
Likes For ehcoplex: