Old 04-09-22, 08:25 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have now been waxing for years, and I have learned a few hard lessons in my time. First straight paraffin wax is really a not great use for chains. Way to brittle and stops working way to quickly.

I landed on Molten Speed wax reduced with about 30% paraffin wax...for me that was the best combination for long life and getting the most out the MSW value wise. You can use it straight but its good diluted to about 30%. Over that number it starts to be less pliable and much easier to remove if caught in rain or such.

Wax is a great system for keeping chains lubed, clean and smooth.

Waxing is really easy once set up and not really more time consuming than anything else. Get a new chain clean it once hot wax it done. Every time you need it re-waxed heat up the crock pot and throw it in. You don't need to clean the chain every time, just the first time. I have a 2 or 3 chain rotation so I am doing 3 or so at once, can easily go 3-4 months. I can get 400 miles easy on one waxing cycle, of course depending on conditions.

Its not very difficult and no more time consuming than just lubing and the best part is NO MESS. No oil on anything, I store my bikes in the house and if a chain rubs on something I can just wipe it off and done. With oils you will not be so lucky.