View Single Post
Old 04-25-22, 11:14 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4640 Post(s)
Liked 5,171 Times in 3,198 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
You are right, it is definitely all about the rider.

I just created this post I guess to comment on the way people make cycling into an "equipment" sport. Or the way people are overly materialistic.

I was on the train with 3 guys going to the same event. They were constantly talking amongst themselves about how they got the latest carbon frame, and the latest groupsets. They were talking about a friend of theirs who 'only' had Tiagra groupet with 'only' 10 speeds, and how inadequate this was. I kind of pitied them. But judging by the average bike at the event, this kind of attitude is widespread.

I think it is a pity, because it makes the cycling hobby seem so elitist. I don't care that my bike is older (an older carbon frame mind you, not even alloy or steel). But I know that a lot of people would be deterred from getting into cycling because of this attitude. They don't want to show up with "lesser" equipment, or they think they need the latest and greatest to be able to partake, which saddens and angers me. The enjoyment of cycling does not depend on your equipment. I have even had friends of mine say they don't want to partake in these events because they don't have a "good bike", which is a real shame. I am sure they could enjoy the sport on an old bike, or even a city bike or hybrid.
So you don't care that you have an older bike, but somehow you believe a lot of people would? Seems like you are over-thinking this rant.