Old 05-07-22, 07:26 AM
couldwheels
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
Do you mean tradition as in the past twenty years or tradition in the 1980s? It seems to me that in the 1980s people would cycle along IN (not on) the drops for long periods. And I assume that this is why road bike handlebars are the shape they are - getting into the C was once comfortable.

I am now finding getting INTO (not on) the drops comfortable. This is because, I think, my stroke is now forward and back rather than stomp stomp. It is difficult to stomp when ones legs are facing forwards under ones chest.
Ooh, I actually meant "traditional" being "orthodox" or standard bike fit practices but also the most recent and most modern standards in bike fit . Wrong choice of word on my part!

Sounds like you moved your saddle as far back as possible to make your legs push forward. That will definitely unload the arms and improve comfort on the handlebar.

Eddy Merckx is also "into" the drops often. Also a heel dropper and maximize saddle setback adjustment. His setup has short reach and handlebar drop is smaller compared to modern race fit. His knees nearly banging the tops of the handlebar when out of the saddle:

Merckx into the drops. He rides on this position a lot. Easy to notice the very cramped setup... Evident of the short reach. Today's race fit has more reach to improve performance on sprints but sacrifices comfort when cruising on the flats seated. Classic fit have superior comfort even when cruising fast and IMO, safer because you can comfortably place your hands at the part where brakes are most effective.

Last edited by couldwheels; 05-07-22 at 08:15 AM.
Likes For couldwheels: