Old 07-03-22, 05:56 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Liked 725 Times in 485 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamzee
I have a Cannondale F2 MTB from 2020. I had ridden it for two years, mainly on paved trails. Got off the bike with (kids, wife, life). Now getting back into riding. I shoot for 80-100 miles a week. I can Avg about 14MPH, but it takes a lot of effort (more than I remember). Before, I would meander off the paved trail and onto more rugged terrain. Now, I rarely (if ever) leave the pavement.
Is there any advantage in switching to slick tires, or at least thinner hybrid tires? Should I look into a new bike? it is my main form of exercise as I can't run without getting excruciating back and hip pain.
Yes, of course. Thinner Slicks will be significantly 'faster' running. Also get tubes to match. Depending on your own mass, there's no reason to stay with a tire width intended for serious off-road riding.
There are good slicks for all the mtb wheel sizes. If complete slicks trouble you a bit, mentally; there are light 'file' tread tires which come close. A good, SUPPLE, lighter weight tire will be a joy to ride... no sense in plodding along on knobbies, you can get as good a workout on slicks and enjoy the process more.
There are a number of websites which can give you a good tire pressure start point based on your mass, the rim width (& size) and the tire specs... google bicycle tire pressure calculator.
and slicks, semi-slick will be fine on gravel trails, as long as you don't need to deal with mud...
"Hybrid' brings to mind cheap, stiff, unrelentingly harsh ride... read reviews, if the review sounds like it comes from someone knowledgeable about bikes.riding...
I had a Fisher Tassajara I had 'converted' to 'commuter' (2nd wheelset with 1.5" / 40mm width slicks) and rode 10 mi. each way for 8 yrs of commuting. It was a fun ride only reason I stopped using it was to 'loan' to another guy who needed something to ride... I think he still rides it , 10 yrs later...
don;t hesitate - all good!
Ride On
Yuri
Edit: I did after about 4 yrs, put a rigid fork on it, and drop bars...

Last edited by cyclezen; 07-03-22 at 05:59 PM.