Old 07-12-22, 10:34 AM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Bikes: (1) Giant TCR racing bike, Ultegra/DuraAce groupo. (2) Kastle TT bike, Ultegra groupo.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
You should be fine, except ENVE advices against cotton casing tyres. <snip>
Yes, thanks for digging into it for me. I saw those warnings about the cotton casing, that's not a problem.

Originally Posted by himespau
I ride with tubed wheels, but I'm old school and those are all the rims I've been familiar with when I've built up the wheels I'm using. Honestly though, it if came with tubeless already set up, I'd just ride it with those until I needed to replace the tires (or until there were problems). Then I'd decided if I'd liked it enough to spend the extra $20 or so each on tubeless tires and keep going that way or spend $20 on a tube and a spare for each wheel to go with the ~$20 cheaper tube-requiring tires. Especially if they're hooked rims like these that can easily take a hooked tire. Oh and buy yourself a couple sets of really nice tire levers and a couple Kool-Stop tire jacks. One for your took kit at home and one for your saddlebag. Some tire/rim combos you can do barehanded, most you can do with the VAR tire jack that's a lot smaller/easier to fit into your saddlebag, but absolutely all tire/rim combos that it's possible to match will work with the Kool-Stop jack. Heavier/requires a bigger bag, but, if you're worried about getting your tires back on the wheel, this will give you the confidence to know you'll never be stranded on the side of the road.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to remove the tires right away because I doubt the seller has bothered to do it in a long while. The wheels only have 1,000 miles on them and the sealant has probably dried out.

Regarding my current setup, I don't have problems. My concern is that the "tubeless optimized" rims might be harder to work with, and I don't want any more hassles than I already have with maintaining my 3 bikes!...