Old 07-14-22, 12:23 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
My drivetrain is definitely 'louder' when I put a freshly waxed chain on, but it quiets down after a decent-length ride. I think most of the noise is from the stiff chain going through the cage. I do think a wet lube is a little bit quieter than wax, but really have no idea of the physics/chemistry behind that. It seems that additional noise might indicate additional 'resistance', but from the tests I've looked at, wax doesn't do any less of a job lubricating than wet/oil lube, so noise doesn't seem to actually correlate to additional resistance.
Hmm; my experience is that despite repeated rides, it still seems louder. Perhaps I need to invest in a decibel meter (just to drive myself crazy?)

I seem to recall, many years ago, that Phil Wood grease in hubs instead of more conventional products resulted in less sound deadening. Similar? Maybe.