View Single Post
Old 07-18-22, 02:10 PM
jayp410

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The two tires were identical make and model...Were they from the same batch? i.e., purchased around the same time?

I suggest trying a very different tire -- even an old used one that you've got around. That's an easy test to determine whether it's the rim or a tire defect.
Same make and model, but different variant. Not from the same batch. Both Maxxis Ramblers, but the first was Silk Shield and the second was Exo. I chose the Exo for the second tire because it was supposed to have additional protection against sidewall cuts.

Originally Posted by Clipped_in
In addition to what has already been suggested, maybe try some Liners?
These look interesting, although I have a concern that they would add weight, thus reducing the benefit of carbon rims. I didn't see the weight listed on that site.

Originally Posted by Clipped_in
What is your total rider+bike weight and what pressures are you running? Maybe check this out: SILCA TIRE PRESSURE CALCULATOR.
My combined rider/bike weight is around 235. Measured tire width is 43mm. According to that calculator, I should be running 33-38 PSI in the rear (depending on gravel type). I have been running 45 PSI rear, 43 PSI front. Not sure what to make of that. I could see how too much pressure could cause it to cut into the tire more quickly.
The front tire, at 43 PSI, has not had this issue so far, although it doesn't have as much weight on it, either.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
These being carbon rims, I wonder if the hooks are part of the mold or if the area under the hooks is machined away after molding. The latter method could leave sharp edges.
I have some experience hand fabricating CF parts (car parts, not bike parts). I suspect that the edge such as this would need to be machined / sanded, as it's where the carbon would exit the mold, and would have to be trimmed. However, carbon fibers are sharp by nature so if they are exiting the edge, they form kind of serrations like a knife. Maybe if sanding using very fine grit, the serrations could be eliminated. The faint gray line on my fingertip is from running my finger along the edge of a piece of CF while sanding, and it cut me deeply and left carbon dust in my flesh. It's kind of an unintentional tattoo.

Last edited by jayp410; 07-18-22 at 09:35 PM. Reason: fixed spelling: "Silk"