View Single Post
Old 07-21-22, 12:50 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Most experienced cyclists know that the value of light-weight, per se, is of very little value. It may feel more responsive, but makes little difference.

Of course, it gets complicated because higher-end (and better) components are lighter. But it's not the weight that makes them better.

On a flat course, the difference would be even smaller.

Aero will trump weight in most cases but for long steep climbs, a light bike can pay dividends. Of course, there are just so many variables to take into account but I don't agree that we can generalise by saying aero is always better or lightweight is of little value, as in this case - and I'm a very experienced cyclist, won my share of races at National, League and Club level.

For my nearest long climb, circa 12 miles at an average 5%, I am consistently around 2 minutes quicker on my 13lb bike vs my 17lb aero bike. On shorter, steeper climbs, circa 8 - 20%, the margin of difference is even greater in real terms. As a 53 yr old Strava KOM-hunter for training (motivates me for interval training), I'm in competition with cyclists half my age, so I try both aero and lightweight and use my bikes to my advantage. As such, in varied weather conditions, personal conditioning etc, I have a substantial amount of segment data to compare and draw conclusions with.

In an actual race, flat and mildly lumpy, I would always choose aero over lighter weight unless I could have both*. A hill TT, any steep climb taken as an individual segment or a particularly hilly GranFondo race, the lighter bike is best, I find.

*if you can have both aero and lightweight, then that is overall the better option, naturally.

For leisurely rides on mild terrain, yeah, pick the bike that's most comfortable as there will be little difference at low speeds unless, again, the gradient is very steep, in which case, lighter will be faster for any given watts.

Lighter can also be easier depending upon what one wants as the OP has learned. Easier due to less watts required on a steep gradient to maintain the same speed as a heavier bike. Or faster using the same watts as on a heavier bike. I know a lot of folks don't like to talk watts but ultimately, it is about energy, power and resistance and the numbers don't lie, power meters are very useful for comparisons such as this.

Likes For AlgarveCycling: