Old 07-28-22, 08:18 AM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
So for a standardish triple as you note (if you go with similar rings), I've used a Shimano CX-70 (10 speed chain/crank setup, 10 speed Campy left shifter), Shimano FD-5503 triple front (9 speed chain/crank setup, 9 speed Shimano STI left shifter), and Suntour SL (8 speed chain, friction). I found going outside the standard triple ring spaces (i.e. half step or big drops) didn't work well for me with triple cages (as pictured above) due to where that center channel lines up, it wants about 10-12 teeth below the big ring for the middle, otherwise the cage is really skinny in the middle outside of that channel.

My Fuji setup now is half step (53-49-36) with the Suntour SL and 8-speed chain on friction barcons, works well (getting the 53 to drop to the 49 takes a bit of feel, if I don't ride the bike for a while it can seem finicky).

I've read anecdotal info that Shimano 600 era double FDs with fairly straight side cages (and I assume the same era 105s) work pretty well for a range of triples and compact doubles as well as their original specs. But as noted I think getting the right combination for your shifter and crank (and bike clearances) can sometimes take some fiddling. I'd definitely go with something cheap off eBay, here, local co-op, or Craigslist/Facebook to see if it works before getting something NOS or fancy!