View Single Post
Old 08-03-22, 01:48 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Why the change? curious, not critical

note just changing bars and stem will not give a hybrid geometry

full disclosure: i find flat bars hurt my wrists. I am a big fan of drop bars for versatility, efficiency and ergonomics
I have spent many hours on "Bike Insights" comparing my Topstone to other bikes I was considering as a replacement. The rear triangle on most of the bikes was nearly exactly the same and the reach is within 2-3 mm. The trail is close to the same also so I decided to try and see what a flat bar or a mustache bar would feel like on this frame so. I did this, see the picture below, to get a feel of the bike and it was as good as I hoped it would be. These are obviously not flat bars but gave me the idea of what the bike would feel like in a more upright posture. I have back and shoulder wrist-elbow issues with arthritis so I do not know how much longer I can ride but I am doing my best to get as much time as I can on a bike without dumping a bunch of money that I will not have the time to enjoy. I have already put the bike back together as it was not safe to ride like that and the brief test told me all I needed to know. What I have learned is that the Topstone frame, medium, has a very similar geometry to the Fitness bike I was looking to buy so when my drop bar days are done it is the frame I will use to continue to ride as long as I can.

Likes For Helderberg: