Old 08-08-22, 03:35 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Yup. One piston was always a stupid design. For sure, get a cable TRP Spyre caliper. Mine is on my Rohloff14 tour bike, 120 lbs loaded.
ZERO squeaks and minimal fiddling. I have the gap bigger because I have track dropouts and it doesn't seem to matter the gap anyway.
I have really nice SA levers set to long pull. Stops on a dime any time. And besides, the TRP is 14 mm less chunky than a horribly UGLY BB7.
With my SA dyno drum brake in front, I have 100% all weather reliability.
No, it's not a stupid design. It works fine when set up properly, which many, many people don't know how to do this correctly. I see that issue all the time.
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
It's a Trek 3500. The more I look at this bike the more I hate it. The front fork has a conventional downwards opening, so hard braking could force the hub downwards. The brake levers have no reach adjustment- why would they omit this on a kid/youth bike? The headset uses caged ball bearings instead of catridge bearings. Good job saving $3, Mr. accountant. The handlebars is steel. Must have saved another $2 there.
As others have said it's a low priced bike. It's absolutely fine for what it is. Don't be that guy.
Likes For cxwrench: