View Single Post
Old 08-10-22, 03:52 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I took my final ride on the New River Trail today. Ended up riding for my life as a result of a run-in with three motorcyclists on the trail. I had 911 on the phone when one of them actually grabbed my jersey and tried to pull me down (he dumped it instead). Still amazed I made it out without a scratch.
I've lost count of how many time I've personally been buzzed by these cretins. Now I get to go to the roads where people regularly give me the horn, tell me to get on the sidewalk, and call me names. Wonderful.
I did get a couple pics before the stupidity.
DD
Wow. People seem to be losing their minds these days.

Just two weeks ago I had an encounter down by the river while shooting photos. A scruffy pair of teenage gangsters approached me, watched for a bit, then one said "Hey, that's a nice camera, man. I think you should give it to me."

Did you ever experience that surreal feeling, when the bad things you see on the news, happening to other people, are suddenly happening to you? Being a Marine, I couldn't help channeling Clint Eastwood: "This is a German-made chunk of steel and titanium (lie - no titanium, just sounded better). The only way I would give this to you is to smash your skulls with it. Then I would photograph your corpses and just ride away.". They backed off and left me alone after that.

Jeff, I know you ride with the full lycra/helmet kit. Do you think this invites the abuse you are getting? I dress like "a feral 13 year old out on a grand adventure" - (Thanks, Northbend!) - and I usually don't have a problem.

Have you ever considered riding armed? I've thought about it, but that would invite risks I would rather not take. Such is America, 2022... civilized countries don't have these problems. I'm glad you're alright.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 08-10-22 at 11:00 AM.
Likes For DQRider: