Old 08-16-22, 07:54 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Last June I was honked at on a rural paved road. I was 2' into the lane and riding probably 22mph and a car honked as it passed me. I was surprised to hear the honk so I instinctively looked back to see why a car would honk and that is when it passed. It gave me a ton of room, probably 10' and was largely in the oncoming lane as it passed. As I looked back ahead, my front wheel hit a large frost heave in the road, the front wheel turned, and I slammed into the pavement. Ended up breaking my clavicle and 4 ribs all because I turned to see why a car honked, and the car was just doing it to let me know it was there.

1- I dont care that the car was there. Dont honk unless there is a need to communicate. Letting me know it exists is not a need to communicate. Just pass me at a safe distance and continue on your way.
2- I have not been honked at since, good or bad honk, and dont plan on turning around when I am honked at in the future.
3- That stretch of road has since been repaved and it is now gloriously smooth.

t2p - a driver honking is not a good thing. Please tell me you dont honk at cyclists when you pass them. There is no need to honk- just pass them at a safe distance and speed and continue on.
I'll say it again - a honk is a good thing - because the driver saw you

The driver that does not see you - the distracted young driver looking down at a cellphone - or the senior driver squinting due to sun - or whatever - can be the big problem

of course I don't beep at / when I pass cyclists

here is just one example of a cyclist killed by a driver that did not see him

https://archive.triblive.com/news/ve...-a-gentle-man/

Last edited by t2p; 08-16-22 at 07:58 PM.