yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The other thing, in my case, is that I have more bikes than I can conveniently clean chains for and wax, and my previous experience with wax - admittedly a drip type - resulted in a squeaky chain in considerably less time than I've ever experienced with wet lube. The answer to the OP's question is basically that the activation energy is too high for the claimed benefits. If the chain manufacturers started selling pre-waxed chains instead of coating them in sticky goo, it might change people's minds.
You can purchase prepped and pre-waxed chains to make a start without ever having to do the initial solvent clean yourself. I don't live in your country so can't give you any links. But since you have a lot of chains already, you could simply clean all of your chains in one big bucket one single time and then batch wax them henceforth without ever having to solvent clean them again.

You can just hose down your bike with water with the chain off, no more drivetrain degreasing. There is no way this will not save you considerable time in the long run since you will not have to clean these chains or drivetrains at all before re-waxing. Wiping them down with a rag to remove dust is an optional step. And if you catch wet weather just pour some boiling water on the dirty chain before putting it in the wax pot.

Drip type wax does not compare, it has real penetration issues if you do not go above and beyond getting it into the rollers, it does not last as long, and gunks up. I tried a few of them for a few thousand kms beforehand.