stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Hey, I actually found my bag online, but couldn't save an image. It's an actual REI catalog page, at a site called innov8 (with the normal www stuff, lol).

It was called the Mountaineer, made for winter camping & climbing, probably in the '70s or '80s, and had 3 1/4 pounds of down, thick nylon shell, and weighed 5 pounds 10 ounces, altogether (for the long version, which this is).

So I "exaggerated" the weight a bit, by guessing, but not by too much. 😁😉

EDIT: Forgot to say, it cost $151.00 new, whenever that was. Might be a bit more now. 😉
OK, one more time. I found an ad for one of these bags online, where the owner bought it to use in Alaska, then never went. So it's still new. 🙂 He bought his new in 1977, and they were rated for -30°F, and made by the old THAW company, which made a lot of gear for REI.

I noticed that his "regular" length is 90" long, so mine is probably a regular too. 🤔 I've gotten kinda used to regulars being too short, these days.🙄😉

BTW, when I lived in Seattle, on Capitol Hill, I shopped and/or browsed the old store on 11th street several times. When they moved down to their current location, the old store was a Value Village thrift store for several years.

Anyways, here's a few pics, from that ad I mentioned, including my missing tag. 😁