Thread: Trek 400T
View Single Post
Old 09-28-22, 02:24 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
What did you use for brakes on yours? My inclination is centerpulls (Vainqueur 750, the Dia-Compe copies, Raids if I win the lottery....) as my focus has generally been more on '70s bikes, but this is late '80s, so I suppose the Tektro side pulls wouldn't look out of place....
This is my take/opinion- if you don't mind...

Centerpulls are very "old school" compared to this bike... there's like a line where 70s styled components suddenly aren't right on 80s bikes. IMO and all that. I originally wanted to have slotted Superbe levers on this bike (and this bike is where I learned about Shimano's SLR system and how it doesn't play well with non-SLR parts), and realistically I'm glad they didn't work because, stylistically- they didn't go. This is a transitional time for bikes- it has recessed brakes, indexed shifting, but non-aero levers. This frame is "modern." The modern block graphics, the high tech socketed lugs, made in Japan... As much as dual pivot Tektros are 30+ years newer than this frame and RAIDs and Vainquers are a just a few years removed... The Tektros are more appropriate, to me (as long as they're polished). That being said, I can't imagine using them on my 70s bikes.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy: