View Single Post
Old 10-01-22, 07:19 AM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Oakman
I'm 69 with PD symptoms since 2003, diagnosed in 2006. My bike riding diminished to almost zero during that time, but I did occasionally cycle (with two falls) until 2016. Had a successful unilateral DBS in that year that changed my cycling, and my life, for the better.

My routine is about an 8 mile ride 5-6 days per week (one fall in past 6 years). I strive for rpm's and heart beat. High rpm's for me is around 90 and heartbeat towards 120. I should push my rpm's more, but that is something that keeps dropping with disease progression. Increasing fatigue is a major problem for me. However, I believe cycling has helped in slowing my PD. And I'll likely continue riding longer than I safely should.
My rpm's are only in the 60-65 range, so I'll have to work on that. Perhpas staying in a lower gear would help.

Not sure about my heartbeat numbers. I have an Apple watch that i think can measure that. I'll have to research how that's done.

Thanks for responding and sharing your experience. Glad to hear that your DBS has helped so much.

Bert