View Single Post
Old 10-12-22, 04:09 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 223 Posts
Warren-Pohl Conservation Area, Chelmsford

Good ride today, well yes, quite the! Allow me to introduce you to Chelmsford's newest open space property, which I decided to explore for the first time today. This came about after I managed to miss my original destination, the cranberry bog. I hadn't been there, or at least not to the Chelmsford side of it, in several years, and rode right past it. Which eventually took me to Route 225 and the BFRT, where I turned back and during a stop at H[e]art Pond...

... decided to follow the BFRT all the way to Chelmsford Center and continue onto Boston Road/Route 4 to Warren-Pohl. Now, this is barely over half a mile from the trail, but it's some of the nastiest, most convoluted street fighting I ever need to do around here. I could easily see myself riding the sidewalks next time, I really can't imagine the local cops would argue with that being the safer option. The street address is 95 Boston Road and it's already marked in Google Maps, but the street view is old. Here is what you're looking for, on the right when coming from the center:

The tiny marker:

Once down what looks like a private driveway, you'll find ample, easy parking and the information kiosk:

I actually tried to find the spur to Bartlett Street (in white) but couldn't. That might be an easier access on the bike, although not a straight shot from the BFRT, either. Cut off in the picture, sorry, but trail rules are no motorized vehicles, i.e. we're good.

The trails! Now, I'm practically an off-road virgin, and in fact, just busted my nose pretty bad superman-ing off my MTB last week, but this was totally doable. Bike see above, those are brand new 30mm CX Comp tires, the max I can fit on the Bianchi. In fact I could hear bits of rubber mold flash go tic-tic-tic on the fork crown when I first set out.

Nasty rocks are picked out in spray paint throughout. I suppose they're expecting a bit of MTB traffic.

Likes For EVlove: