Old 10-18-22, 02:51 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Very, very interesting. I did some Googling trying to find the source in the meantime, and I found a Streetsblog article referencing a 2014 Portland State University study that found the following:

Source: https://usa.streetsblog.org/2014/06/...-safer-biking/

In other words, ~4% of those who actually used the PBL in Portland thought it unsafe or equal to the prior config. Almost the same as the Bloor Street survey.

Not surprised that this is also within the 4-7% that make up the Highly Confident rider demographic according to the FHWA (2019). Obviously nothing more than a corollary, but something I'll keep in the back of my mind if any more stats like this pop up.

-Kurt
When that Bloor Survey came out I had downloaded it right away. Now I can't find it online. So the city must have removed it. Lucky I still have my own copies of it in my laptop and my smartphone.

I once had a discussion with a guy, or should I say, I had let him rant about why we should be wasting money on bike lanes for only the 5% of the people on the road.

That 5% could be broken down in many ways. These surveys show that the cyclists that guy was seeing on the road are those people who have the confidence riding on all sorts of roads
Whereas there's a hidden 95% that are would-be riders who would go out when they feel safe. Those 95% are what separated bike lanes are for.

Last edited by Daniel4; 10-18-22 at 02:54 AM.