Old 10-23-22, 11:37 AM
Im Clueless

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ahhhhh! Which Bicycle to Choose??

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some advice on what brands/bicycles people suggest I look at when deciding on a touring bike
Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated.
Also apologies for my very non-technical criteria, I only learn what I must about bicycle mechanics, and much prefer riding than nerding out over technical details!

My Criteria:
- I would like to be able to do multi-day/week expeditions (tours).
- I am very much a roadie and I don't see that changing, but I would like the bike to be able to cope with light gravel/offroading. Although I don't think I'd ever be needing to fit wider than 35mm tyres on it.
- I would like the bicycle to be reasonably fast, with (almost) as much focus on speed as comfort, and I will not be loading it with large panniers, but rather just a saddlebag, handlebar bag, frame bags, and fork bags.
- Preferrably it would cost no more than £3,000-£5,000
- I would like the bike to 'beautiful' - peferrably racing red - bonus points if the bicycle is made in Britain!

I have been looking at steel bikes with carbon forks, and have so far come across the Stanforth Conway and the Fairlight Secan 2.5. My heart pulls me towards the Stanforth Conway, but I can't seem to justify the extra £1,000 it costs over the Fairlight. Is that money just going towards the custom sizing, or is there more to it? (although I know the importance of a good bike fit shouldn't be underestimated)

I do only have limited experience of touring so far, having done 5 or so multi-day road-trips on my carbon road racing bike. But I am very limited on how much luggage I can take with me, and it's not the most comfortable bike to ride after long stints in the saddle.

Thank you!