View Single Post
Old 10-25-22, 01:14 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7089 Post(s)
Liked 11,208 Times in 4,785 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Nice. I will be 58 in March. Single. I have good, relatively inexpensive benefits through work, including health, dental and vision. That's a tough nut to give up. Assuming I can make it to 60, I am leaving, health care costs be damned. I can receive a full pension at that point, and I will get an enhanced benefit until I am able to apply for Railroad Retirement at age 62, albeit a reduced RR benefit. One thing I have added to my to-do list this fall/winter is look into what health care would cost on the "open market" and what my RR benefit will be because I really don't want to work anymore. Fortunately, I have no dependents and no debt at this time, and don't expect to have any of either in the future.
Good luck with it! I am very happily retired. I volunteer in the community, help my wife's organization (pro bono), our house is now consistently clean and other chores are easily covered, I ride 7k-8k miles per year, and I hit the local brewery taproom every Friday afternoon. It's a great life.

Oh, and on-point with this thread topic: given the reduced time constraints, it's easier than ever for me to ride around town on my SS commuter bike. It always makes me feel good to use the bike instead of a car.