Thread: Motobecane ?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-22, 01:06 PM
1simplexnut 

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Liked 641 Times in 285 Posts
Originally Posted by El Chaba
I have a “Team Champion” with a somewhat mysterious past. I cleaned it up and resprayed it as the existing paint was not worth saving and was pretty tatty. The chrome, etc. was of a high standard and still in very good shape. I did remove the number mount as what was left of it appeared to have been cut off with pliers. It was alleged to have been a team frame, but who knows? There were a few letters printed on the steering column when I stripped it, but I could not match anything up. In any event, I don’t believe that it was made by the same people that normally make the frames. While the bottom bracket, Columbus (metric) tubing and some other details were the same, the chrome pattern, lugs, and especially the dropout treatment was quite different. It is a very nice riding bike, and I have never experienced another bike whose ride was more “ruined” by clinchers. The ride is very light and nimble with tubulars, but it acts as if it is half asleep with clinchers…

Hi - Nice machine !
The finish on the dropouts ( fish tail /mouth ? ) is very distinctive .
Does that rear dropout say Meral on it ?