View Single Post
Old 11-12-22, 04:32 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3836 Post(s)
Liked 1,069 Times in 807 Posts
The Future of Bike Advocacy

This is an article about e-bikes, but I'm putting it here in lieu of the ebike forum, because I'm wondering how the popularity of ebikes will affect bike advocacy in the future, given that they are on a very upward trend in popularity. I guess there could also be a discussion about safety WRT ebikes and the difference with traditional bikes, but for now I'm more concerned with advocacy. I'm dead set against ebikes for myself, but I wonder if most non-cyclist make a distinction between traditional cyclists and these crazy non-cyclists on ebikes.

P.S. I know there is a place for ebikes and I've seen a few people, mostly older folks that use ebikes in a very practical manner and observe rules of the road; however, I see way, way more ebikes that are zipping by and are a total hazard on the roads. I'm addressing those idiots who are in the majority (at least in my local area).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/e-bikes-a...100029448.html

Excerpt:

E-bikes are affordable, practical and good for the planet. But is America ready for these speedy cycles?

Kyle Bagenstose, USA TODAY
Sat, November 12, 2022 at 1:12 PMAmerica has hosted its fair share of heavyweight transportation fights.

Canals gave way to freight trains. Freight trains gave way to big rigs. Horses gave way to cars.

Now cars will give way to ... the e-bike?

In one corner are those who swear, "Yes." They'll tell you on a cost-per-mile equivalent, bicycles powered by electric motors can get thousands of miles to the gallon compared to a typical gas-powered car. E-bikes also efficiently transport a rider from point A to B with zero carbon emissions, similar to an electric car but at a fraction of the price. They are the future, proponents say. Just wait and see.

“For years I’ve been saying the e-bike is going to be as ubiquitous as the smartphone,” said Mike Radenbaugh, founder and CEO of Rad Power Bikes, the largest U.S.-based e-bike company. “Everything we’re doing is to create a true car replacement … to help stoke this consumer revolution that’s underway but has not hit the tipping point yet.”

In the other corner are no shortage of detractors. Some cite safety; studies suggest higher rates of serious injury for e-bike riders. Others note environmental concerns about battery production and disposal. Perhaps most prominent are those who say e-bikes just don't fit in on American roadways, where their typical top speeds of about 20 mph can irritate slower pedal-powered bicyclists and faster car drivers alike.

“The e-bike is a monstrosity,” declared an article in The Atlantic, a recent flashpoint in the battle over the e-bike.

So which is it: segue to the future, or another doomed Segway?