View Single Post
Old 11-15-22, 04:49 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 881 Posts
Speaking as someone neck-deep in "previously-loved" bicycles, there are a lot of used bikes available right now. In mid-2020, it was the opposite, with almost no retail product and used bikes (and parts/consumables) going for very high prices. Now with new bikes coming in and people going back to what passes for "normal", many used bikes are flooding the pipeline.

In August, one of the nonprofits I work with (Recycle Your Bicycle) publicized a big regionwide bicycle donation drive. We hoped for hundreds, and got thousands. Everything from rustbuckets to very high-end road bikes. In fact, we're in the wonderful but challenging situation of having more bikes than current foster kids needing one at the moment, or more importantly volunteers to fix them. We've passed some of the bikes on to other nonprofits such as Rusty Spoke and El Grupo Youth, but we're hearing that nearly every bike nonprofit in the area (Bike Saviours, Grey Matter, Bicycle Cellar) is also in the same wonderful yet challenging state of swimming in inventory. My own church informed me their bicycle drive might not need all the ones I've saved for them (and there goes my plan for reclaiming my back patio...) I even took some good older fixed-up bicycles to the big bike swap in Tucson last Sunday, and they didn't move at all, even at modest prices.

We're still figuring out how to get all these generously-donated bikes to nonprofits who might need them. Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 11-15-22 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added Tucson swap sentence.
Likes For RCMoeur: