View Single Post
Old 12-01-22, 01:21 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
I built up a winter commuter from an old 'hybrid' bike frame. I didn't use the canti-brake braze-ons; instead built wheels using Sturmey Archer drum brakes front and rear with a 5 speed SA IGH drum combo. The bike uses 700c rims with studded snow tires. Its held up really well but I've only been running it three years and I do try to clean it off. I went with drum brakes since I figured they would stop the bike regardless of ice.
My first few winters of regular commuting I used a late model Norco Indie (Norco is Canadian, well they used to be anyway), and it had disc brakes and a lower end Shimano group. The bike could fit 35mm studded tires, which were great, but otherwise it was a mess. The disc brakes were noisy after being gummed up by winter road nasties and were impossible to keep clean such that they'd stop squealing, and the derailleur/brake cables would constantly freeze up.

With the three-speed bikes of the 50s, 60s, and 70s, the only thing I'd wish for is the quality, variety, and availability of multiple tire types for 650a like has happened with 650b. I'd like to run Soma Cazadero type tires for winter at 42mm wide and aggressive side tread, but the 38mm Panaracer Col de la vie will have to suffice. I'll just need to be more choosy of which days I go into the office.