Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 12-06-22, 10:05 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Liked 4,837 Times in 1,710 Posts
Originally Posted by panzerwagon

Nice photos! Did you have trouble with the paper backing strip tearing off as you pulled on it? If so, any tips?
Thanks!

The Jantex tape has a plastic backing film, but it is also somewhat flimsy. Once, while removing when I had the tires up to 100psi or more, it tore. Had to wrestle the tire off in the area of the tear (which wasn't easy, even though I'd only taped it on minutes before) to retrieve the torn end, then slowly pulled, with greatly reduced tire pressure, the remainder out. Was a bit of a challenge getting the tire perfectly straight in that section, but I got close enough.

Now, I only put in about 30psi, to get the tire into shape, and to aid in the seating process. I pull one tab of backing film a couple feet, then do the same with the other, alternating until one meets the other. By the time you remove the film, you will have aligned your tires as best as possible, so when it's all out, pump the tire up to the desired pressure, let sit 24 hours.

That's always worked for me. I'll know around noon tomorrow if I got it right again.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude: