Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 12-07-22, 01:20 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,810 Times in 3,892 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
This is good news - in particular, the praises sung regarding the ribbed portion of the tread. Hand on heart, I was never a fan of the look, particularly the straight-up Corsas with grooves across the entire width. But this one, with the herringbone tread edges, is a nice mixture of the two. The channels have me wondering if they'll be magnets for little pieces to get stuck in, so at the conclusion of each ride I'll religiously look closely at this feature. Hearing your experience with the tread has me looking forward to the ride, and I'm going to run without sealant until the same happens to me, then give it a go since you've proved that to be an option. Plus, I have a free spare to pop on in any case

But, really, the main takeaway in handling/mounting them was that they are very well-made, and although they don't seem to weigh all that much, they feel substantial. Does that make sense?

DD
And therein lies the rub, light AND substantial, quality and at the same time up to the task, the magical traits that ruled the markets for decades.

Yes, quality, robustness, etc can always be felt to some degree, especially when you have been around as long as we have.

So many things now days come out of a trusted box or package only to find they have mucked up the mix, your heart sinks and you instantly know another reliable, long trusted and revered product will never be the same.

Last edited by merziac; 12-07-22 at 01:26 AM.