Old 12-09-22, 02:18 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
To those of us who do the maintenance and repairs on our bikes--do you enjoy it as you did (if you did) when you were younger. I ask, as I've always been mechanically inclined and enjoyed working on just about anything. I recently replaced a front 3 spd road derailleur on my wife's bike and repacked the rear hub on my bike, as well as a few other things. I did like knowing it was done correctly, to my liking, and not having to be concerned about how much care someone else took while working on them. But I did not enjoy doing it nearly as much as when younger. My mtn.bike was built up from a bare frame (a replacement for one which broke). Had a ball putting literally everything on that bike and getting it all to work together. Haven't built one like that for decades, but can't imagine enjoying it nearly as much now. How about you?
I used to rebuild as well as R&R engines in cars in my hot rodding days, built a few bicycles as well. In fact I built a rear wheel lacing a 3 speed hub into a 26x2:25 mountain bike wheel for fun them built it into a bicycle. when I worked at a Bike shop in Vegas. It was kind of a cool oddity. Some homeless looking guy came in liked it and payed cash for it. I never saw it again even though I told the guy it had a 30 day warranty.
Now days I don't do much and I'd rather pay a mechanic to do what I used to do. I guess this is what happens when you get older.

Last edited by Ballenxj; 12-09-22 at 02:22 PM.