Old 12-15-22, 10:28 PM
Leisesturm

Liked 919 Times in 628 Posts
What is it about cars parking in bike lanes that gets some of you in such a lather? Let it go. If I were in government and got such an email I would open a dossier on the letter writer. Then set the blues on them to show them what real inconvenience looks like. Perspective is a hell of a thing. People can die when hit by distracted drivers. Repealing right turn on red statutes and doubling fines for moving violations could save lives. Have you written that email yet?

I have never seen a non-commercial vehicle parked in a bike lane. Have some sympathy for the Fed-Ex or DHL driver who has to hump a 150lb treadmill out of his truck and into the service elevator of a high rise. Where TF do you think he should park to make YOUR delivery? Yah, in YOUR driveway. Well we don't ALL have driveways. We don't ALL live in idyllic suburban or rural retreats and those bike lanes that you enjoy riding in were parking spaces. You forget. I try to walk a mile in the other guys shoes before I lose my cool. On the scale of things to really go postal over I just can't see the parking in the bike lane thing rising to that level of crisis.

Edit: The program in NYC is (much) less about cyclist safety or comfort and more about revenue. The number of people reporting scofflaw parkers are a tiny, tiny, fraction of the cycling community. In fact the most ardent reporters, a few racking up millions(!) of dollars in reward money are not cyclists at all.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 12-15-22 at 10:34 PM.
Likes For Leisesturm: