Old 12-16-22, 01:40 PM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
What is the thinking on this? is this because it is a cool thing to try? Is there a benefit you want to get?

this does not really seem simpler (one ring up front, 7 in back x 3 with igh) than just having a 3 x 7

curious minds want to know

The current set up is a 2x8, with index downtube for the rear and a friction barcon for the front. It used to be a manual shift on the front, no front derailleur which I decided was annoying. So I tried a front derailleur but due to the oddities of the frame (braze-on fd mount and flaired seat tube) combined with small big ring (44t) mean the front shifting sucks and I am forced to trim the front derailleur constantly which is also annoying. So I'm trying something else. I also wanted to try friction on the rear just on a whim and to test out a claim by the pathlesspedaled guy that friction works better with really narrow cassette spacing. The nice thing is I don't have to replace the brake levers and remove bar tape for this experiment. When I go to shimergo or gevenalle, I'm going to have to replace the bar tape.

Last edited by kommisar; 12-16-22 at 01:47 PM.
Likes For kommisar: