View Single Post
Old 12-27-22, 10:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18553 Post(s)
Liked 15,948 Times in 7,490 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Slight digression: Grant Petersen, writing about geometry differences between bikes, said that, on his first ride on a bike with a bottom bracket markedly higher than that of the bike he'd been riding regularly, he started out hating the way the bike rode. But then he noticed that, after a half-hour or so on the bike, it felt fine, and he settled into enjoying its ride. If he rode the bike for a week or two and then got back on the first bike, that one now felt weird and required some time in the saddle to reacclimatize to it.

I've found that to be true. My 1987 Cannondale M500, with its 12" BB height and Beast of the East geometry, made me feel like a flagpole sitter whenever I took it out for a ride after riding other bikes, but all it took was a few minutes to get used to it again.
Mos’ def’. I experience the same when switching between my touring bike and my road bike, but it doesn’t take long to reacclimate. One thing that sometimes happens is that, if I have been riding the touring bike, which has bar end shifters, for a while and get back on the road bike, I will reach down to grab the non-existent bar end shifters. When I move from the road bike to the touring bike, I will initially try to shift using the brake levers. Makes me chuckle.