View Single Post
Old 01-02-23, 05:16 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 201 Posts
With a little time off over the holidays, the timing seemed right to get after a lower priority project that has been waiting for a while. So I had a set of wheels that I built as training/winter use wheels back about 1993-94. They were built with Mavic GP4 rims that were used in a 6/7 speed wheel set and dated from the mid 80s. I thought that they could not be destroyed, but eventually noticed last year that the rear rim had a crack at an eyelet. I decided to build a new set of rougher use wheels using the hubs and some Mavic Open Elite rims for ( gasp) clinchers, which are available in more durable/suitable weight for the intermittent and seasonal use planned for the wheels. The hubs are Campagnolo Veloce and began life as 8 speed compatible and I converted them with a 9 speed freehub sometime around 1996 or so. Even the lower level Campy hubs were really good back then. These hubs used a simpler and cheaper seal system than the higher brow cousins, but I believe that it may be more effective. The spokes are the incredibly consistent and reliable DT butted 14/15 g with brass nipples. When the tires arrive I will mount things up and put them (back) in service. I love building wheels, btw….

Likes For El Chaba: