View Single Post
Old 01-07-23, 04:32 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The two bikes you mention, Giant TCR and the Cannondale SuperSix have a fairly aggressive fit. So if you aren't going to be riding like a bat out of 'H' 'e ' double toothpicks through that park and the rides in the country, then you might want something with a more relaxed fit.

With those bikes when properly sized for you, then your saddle will be much higher than the bars. If you rode vintage bikes from back in the day, then you probably want something where the bars are about the same height as the saddle or just a tad lower.

Not sure off the top of my head what a good choice is for Giant in a relaxed fit, but a Cannondale Synapse is a much more relaxed fit than those two bikes. Likewise is a Trek Domane. And a very relaxed fit can be had on a Specialized Roubaix. Frame stack is one of the things you need to be aware of to know if it will put the bars higher or lower than another bike. Other geometry things can make that not the absolute thing to go by, but it gives you a quick way to know which way the bike fit will lean. Lower stack and that lean will be you!

If you are going by visual aesthetics in your bike choices then you are probably finding the sexy sports cars of the bike world. And they will be aggressive race fit bikes.
I agree with this. The Cannondale Synapse, Trek Domaine, Specialized Roubaix and Giant Defy are good choices as they are "endurance" road bikes which are more upright.

Though if you do a lot of riding on NYC streets, I agree with SteveB that a gravel bike might be a better choice. Take a look a the Jamis Renegade or GT Grade.

This all being said, test ride different bikes to find out what you like. Don't get hung up on a brand as there are many great brands out there. The most important thing is that you get something that fits you well. A bike shop can help you with this. If you're in NYC, there are plenty of shops. I used to work near Toga Bike Shop on West End & 64th St. They sell mostly Cannondale and Specialized. They seem to have a knowledgeable staff, though beware that Specialized gives their dealers sales quotas, so they will try to push you toward Specialized.
Likes For Lombard: