View Single Post
Old 01-09-23, 04:30 PM
bobthebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PHL2000
First post here. Have had Sirrus X 4.0 for two months, about 600 miles so far (no rain or snow). Need help identifying cause of an annoying sound.

Sound is a dull whooshing sound, like scuffing, or a small burst of air. It is not a click or creak, etc.
It is intermittent, doesn't always occur, but when it does I am going uphill (moderate or steep), only when pedaling, and in gears 7-11 (I don't really use gears lower than those).
As best I can tell, it seems to come from the left side, in the area of the bottom bracket, and again, only when I am (1) pedaling and (2) going uphill.

Started a few weeks ago, after maybe 450 miles? LBS has checked it out, they can't replicate the sound, not sure of cause. Bottom bracket is the original equipment, which I believe is a no-name bracket (described on website as: "Bottom Bracket - Threaded BSA 68mm, 24mm spindle." Sound is not the seat post or tires, etc.
Any idea what is causing this sound?
I had the same issue with my Sirius X 5.0. Took it to the shop and it persisted after I got it back. Took it back again and another tech solved it. I’m not sure what he did, but I’m assuming he took the bottom bracket off and repacked it. This all started when the bottom bracket nut backed off, which is very common on the GLX drivetrain. One last thing, which was a standard pain for me; have them drop a couple of links off the chain. You’ll never have it derail again. ,Bob