View Single Post
Old 01-11-23, 12:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
old towels are great. they are thick. they don't tear. you can do more wiping with them. they can be washed & reused. Earth friendly. towels are more useful around the rear derailleur jockey wheels because they don't fall apart & get stuck between the chain & the teeth of the wheels, hehe

paper towels are convenient but can break in your hand, so I use disposable gloves. now I'm polluting the environment in 2 ways. paper "shop towels" are more durable but cost more

I like towels this time of year because I can start with the top of the bike, wiping, drying, etc. & then move downward, toward to dirtier stuff like wheels & tire sidewalls, then finish at the drivetrain

last ride w/ the MTB I just dried the chain w/ paper towels & left the rest of the bike to drip dry. only exception was my routine for the fork stanchions, which I baby after each ride. paper towels, low pressure compressed air & stanchion lube w/ q-tips & more paper towels

also use a little low pressure compressed air around both derailleurs

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-11-23 at 12:45 PM.