View Single Post
Old 01-24-23, 07:39 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I have a 2019 Salsa Warbird with TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes.
Dave
I too have the TRP Spyres - a nice reliable brake that can be dialed-in using the adjustment screw on each side.

I also have a full hydraulic SRAM brake system on a new gravel bike. The full hydraulic SRAM is an easier pull effort to get the same stopping power - and greater stopping power is available if needed. Not a gigantic difference, but noticeable.

HOWEVER, one annoying quality of many (most?) full hydraulic road brakes is that the calipers ARE NOT ADJUSTABLE like the Spyres. The only way to stop the disc from rubbing the brake pads - and creating an intermittent singing sound as you ride along - is to physically loosen the bolts that hold the caliper to the frame and try to tweak it. And/or you can tweak the disc using an adjustable wrench.

It took me several attempts to rid the front wheel of my new gravel bike of the disc sing. And if your wheels are not built robustly, the disc might start singing all over again when you stand and rock the bike while climbing - or hit a pothole.

I've read good reviews of the TRP HY/RDs and the Juin Techs. I don't know if these systems have caliper adjustment mechanisms. With these brakes you can probably reuse the levers, housings, and maybe the cables you already have. Make sure you get the proper mounting hardware.

Good Luck!

Last edited by jlaw; 01-24-23 at 07:43 PM.