View Single Post
Old 01-29-23, 02:12 PM
Claude.fr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
So, I am not fond of little paths with rocks and branches that are becoming popular on brevets these days.
Where is that ?
To each is own, that would be my kind of brevet.
For the record, Roman “civil engineers” knew a thing or two about road building 2000 years ago.
Climbing steep grade alternating with semi-flat, then steep again, then flat sections, where just like the Romans horses, I can catch my breath and de-bunk, suits me fine.
The modernized Routes Nationales, designed for 18 wheelers and their boring regular grade climbs, no shoulder, can’t get out of the saddle, condemned to grind your way up, brushed by 50t of steel on wheels, No thanks.
Small distances Brevets are a no brainer, 600km on Routes Nationales is out of question.

Maybe, I should have been more clear, I can understand that bicycle **lanes** in urbanized areas can be problematic, bicycle paths, EuroVelo style, are a totally different animal.

At some point, the French Federation needs to get their facts right, they cannot lobby for the, very welcome, construction of cycling paths without incentivizing cyclists to use them.... and that includes would-be-pro-racers.

As it happens other road users are also taxpayers who have ground to wonder what’s the point of cycling paths if cyclists don’t use them ?