View Single Post
Old 02-13-23, 08:29 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 570 Posts
I hope they get some more route info out fairly early in the year if not fully complete the route and have maps up for sale. I'd like to get a better handle on what to expect of the route so I know whether I want to do it in 2024 and if so what I need to be prepared for.

When backpacking these days I like to limit myself to carrying no more than 4-5 days of food at most, but really water is the tough part. It doesn't have to be too far between resupply before water gets heavy. I'd expect that similar limitations will apply to a gravel tour for me. I might be more willing to haul a heavier load on the bike than when backpacking especially if it is for limited stretches, but I am really and skeptical about resorting to carrying heavy loads for the majority of the ride. If a support vehicle could either be right on the route or close by and able to set caches that might solve the water issue in some places. I am generally not a fan of using support vehicles though.

All that said I have gotten spoiled with UL packing techniques and frequent resupply so heavy loads will be hard to adapt to. Still I am not one who is unwilling to try different types of trips. Heavy loads would limit my mileage if there is much climbing. That is bad news because limited mileage means even heavier loads.

I might like to try a shorter (maybe 300-600 miles?) trip similar to the terrain and logistics expected on the GPGR this year as kind of a dry run, but I don't feel like we really have a very good handle on what that is.