View Single Post
Old 03-02-23, 11:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 3,946 Times in 2,350 Posts
I hope you didn't fall. The bike is cheaper to fix than you are.

There are a few possible reasons why this happened, Some from negligence, some from bone handed mechanicing, some from trail "snakes", some from previous incidents. Unfortunately the causes can overlap and damage can obscure the true reason.

Do you know what rear cog you were in when going down the hill? Do the der cage/pulleys show spoke contact/snagging? Did the chain get twisted? Was the road smooth? Or was this off road and if so were there branches or "snakes" about? Had you shifted the gears just before?

It would be easy to assume that the wheel replacement lacked a check for/adjustment of the der limit screws but these only affect the action when in the biggest or smallest cog. The smallest is far from the spokes. The biggest isn't what most are in when descending. Presumably you were pedaling... As a former (love that term, former) shop service guy I would try to reconcile these with what I see when the bike is in front of me. Taking out many spokes (another assumption in that the spokes are broken out of the hub or rim) suggests a pretty immoveable object got tangled up in them. Chains are not usually this. Der cages can be as too sticks or other snakes.

More info and pics might help us with further speculations. Andy