Old 03-04-23, 11:22 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 525 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I think you can see this "exercise intensity" weighting factor in my EF graph. There's a substantial "jump" in 2021 and 2022, after the early season ramp-up, which I suspect matches up with my switch-over to higher intensity rides. See the red arrow jumps:

No "jump" so far in 2023--just a steady-ramping up--as I haven't yet started doing higher intensity rides.

I guess a really smart EF would exclude all of the LT/anaerobic efforts in every ride, calculating EF on just the fully aerobic segments.
That's pretty damn cool.

I suspect that even if you were looking at un-normalized power, you'd still see a trend, just not as sudden a jump. I think there may be some changes due to stroke volume (though I'd sorta kinda be surprised if LVEF were changing that much) but I also suspect that increasing "efficiency factor" also reflects changes in mitochondrial density. But while I think it does reveal something going on, I'm still uncertain how to use this information day-to-day. It's descriptive but not prescriptive so you can use it to monitor progress but not to tell you what to do next.