Old 03-05-23, 06:42 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Guess I’ll have to give up on fitting that old Blackburn on to the front of my townie, since no one makes a hardware kit specifically for a 1976 Bridgestone.

Seriously, though, this is not a Mars lander or a Deepwater drilling rig; it’s a bicycle. This isn’t that hard.
I know we all want everything perfect, but sometimes the solution isn’t packaged, labeled and hanging on a peg behind the sales counter.
If I was setting this up as an on-road touring bike, and just using the front bags for a sleeping bag and a puffy jacket, I could probably get away with some hack that puts a bit of downward bending force on the lower mounting bolts, even though the manufacturer now advises against using a front rack with this fork.

But setting this up as a grocery bike, on which I'm likely to push the rated weight limit of the front bags and front rack, that's not a good idea. I really do need to minimise or eliminate the leverage forces on bolts used to mount load-bearing racks.

With this in mind, I'm starting to think "the solution" may be braze-on eyelets installed on the fork. I think that meets your criteria of not being packaged, labeled and hanging on a peg behind the sales counter. What I need to do now is find a frame-builder who can assess the feasibility of this, and hope that the manufacturer is willing to make a good-faith effort to cover that cost, after advertising the bike as being compatible with a front-rack, and advertising their front-rack as being compatible with this bike.