Old 03-16-23, 05:26 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 3,760 Times in 1,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
FWIW: Campagnolo for a while actually made "dork discs". There are at least 6 for sale on eBay now - one of which is transparent plastic and might actually fit. Unfortunately, you have to look hard to see the Campagnolo panto on that one - but it's there.

We discussed the possibility of using one of these earlier in the thread but there were a couple points that made this less than ideal -

1. Extra weight on the bike
2. One of these plastic discs costs about 2x what the whole bike did

Now, I don't think I'd be as opposed to it if it has the right 'IT' factor. I describe the 'IT' factor being the balance between flamboyance and weight. Meaning, the heavier the part or component is, the more flamboyantly panache and 'Campy' it needs to be. It goes without saying that components like the Record crankset and the Super Record rear derailleur are a no brainer because they are of decent weight (meaning there is really no penalty to using them vs another crankset or RD) and their acknowledgement as elite parts is high - they are super recognizable and highly regarded.

The dork disc, while decently lightweight, has little in the way of 'regard', so it is sort of just extra weight. But let's be real - when I have to take out a second mortgage to buy a dork disc, something is seriously wrong. I mean, more wrong that 'normal' wrong for this build.

Does anyone know if Campy made a coffee cup holder?
Likes For AdventureManCO: